CASTLE CORNET, GUERNSEY, THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
GUERNSEY - THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
Approximate Overall Size: 5 x 8 inches
Cornet is a large castle in Guernsey, and former tidal island, which is now
part of one of the breakwaters of St Peter Port's harbour, the main one in the
island.Formerly a tidal island, like Lihou on the west coast of Guernsey, it
was first fortified as a castle between 1206 and 1256, following the division
of the Duchy of Normandy in 1204. In 1339 when a French force captured the island
and occupied it for several years, Cornet was besieged, captured and the garrison
massacred. With the advent of cannon and gunpowder, the castle was remodelled
between 1545 and 1548. It served as official residence of the Governor of Guernsey
until 1672 when the keep was catastrophically destroyed. A bolt of lightning
struck the magazine of the castle, destroying the keep and a number of living
quarters. The Governor at the time was Lord Hatton. His mother, wife and a number
of members of staff were killed in the explosion. It became integrated into
the breakwater during the period of the Napoleonic Wars. On Castle Cornet breakwater
is a lighthouse, with fixed light seen 9 miles.
ABOUT THE ARTIST: Henry B Wimbush was one of Raphael
Tuck's most prolific artists, but despite his very high postcard output, he
remains a shadowy figure, only briefly chronicled in art dictionaries and reference
works. Although he first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1888, he was not
famous as a painter, and his work was not very well known.
CHANNEL ISLANDS: A group of islands, on the S.
side of the English Channel, 10 m. W. of coast of France and 80 m. S. of coast
of England. The principal members of the group are Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney,
and Sark. Geographically connected with France, they have been politically attached
to England since the Conquest, and are now all that remain to it of the dukedom
of Normandy. The land is parcelled out among a great number of small proprietors,
and is carefully cultivated. The language is nearly the same as the old Norman
French, but English is taught in all the parochial schools.
CONDITION: Excellent Early 1900s Publication. Bookplate Print.