GUERNSEY FROM FORT GEORGE, THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
FROM FORT GEORGE
THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
Approximate Overall Size: 5 x 8 ins
of Guernsey (French: Bailliage de Guernesey) is a British crown dependency in
the English Channel off the coast of Normandy.Rising sea levels transformed
Guernsey into the tip of a peninsula jutting out into the emergent English Channel
until about 6000 B.C., when Guernsey and other promontories were cut off from
continental Europe, becoming islands. At this time, Neolithic farmers
settled the coasts and created the dolmens and menhirs that dot the islands.
The island of Guernsey contains three sculpted menhirs of great archaeological
interest; the dolmen known as L'Autel du Dehus also contains a dolmen deity.
During their migration to Brittany, the Britons occupied the Lenur Islands (former
name of the Channel Islands) including Sarnia or Lisia (Guernsey) and Angia
(Jersey). It was formerly thought that the Island's original name was Sarnia,
but recent research indicates that may have been the Latin name for Sark; although
Sarnia remains the island's traditional designation. Coming from the Kingdom
of Gwent, Saint Sampson (abbot of Dol, in Brittany) is credited with the introduction
of Christianity to Guernsey. In 933 the islands, formerly under the control
of the kingdom, then Duchy of Brittany were annexed by the Duchy of Normandy.
The island of Guernsey and the other Channel Islands represent the last remnants
of the medieval Duchy of Normandy. In the islands, Elizabeth II's traditional
title as head of state is Duke of Normandy. During the middle ages the island
was repeatedly attacked by French pirates and naval forces, especially during
the Hundred Years War when the island was occupied by the French on several
occasions, the first being in 1339. In 1372 the island was invaded by Aragonese
mercenaries under the command of Owain Lawgoch (remembered as Yvon de Galles),
who was in the pay of the French king. Lawgoch and his dark-haired mercenaries
were later absorbed into Guernsey legend as an invasion by fairies from across
the sea. During the English Civil War, Guernsey sided with Parliament, while
Jersey remained Royalist. Guernsey's decision was mainly related to the higher
proportion of Calvinists and other Reformed churches, as well as Charles I's
refusal to take up the case of some Guernsey seamen who had been captured by
the Barbary corsairs. The allegiance was not total, however, there were a few
Royalist uprisings in the Southwest of the island, while Castle Cornet was occupied
by the then Governor, Sir Peter Osbourne, and Royalist troops. Castle Cornet
was the last Royalist stronghold to capitulate, in 1651. During the wars with
France and Spain during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, Guernsey shipowners
and sea captains exploited their proximity to mainland Europe, applying for
Letters of Marque and turning their trading vessels into privateers. The nineteenth
century saw a dramatic increase in prosperity of the island, due to its success
in the global maritime trade, and the rise of the stone industry. One notable
Guernseyman, William Le Lacheur, established the Costa Rican coffee trade with
Europe As well as the island of Guernsey itself, it also includes Alderney,
Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou, Burhou, Lihou and other islets. The island of
Guernsey is divided into 10 parishes. Together with the Bailiwick of Jersey,
it is included in the collective grouping known as the Channel Islands.
ABOUT THE ARTIST: Henry B Wimbush was one of Raphael
Tuck's most prolific artists, but despite his very high postcard output, he
remains a shadowy figure, only briefly chronicled in art dictionaries and reference
works. Although he first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1888, he was not
famous as a painter, and his work was not very well known.
CHANNEL ISLANDS: A group of islands, on the S.
side of the English Channel, 10 m. W. of coast of France and 80 m. S. of coast
of England. The principal members of the group are Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney,
and Sark. Geographically connected with France, they have been politically attached
to England since the Conquest, and are now all that remain to it of the dukedom
of Normandy. The land is parcelled out among a great number of small proprietors,
and is carefully cultivated. The language is nearly the same as the old Norman
French, but English is taught in all the parochial schools.
CONDITION: Excellent. Early 1900s Publication. Bookplate Print.