MONT ORGUEIL CASTLE, JERSEY, THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
JERSEY - THE CHANNEL ISLANDS
Approximate Overall Size: 5 x 8 ins
is a castle in Jersey. It is located overlooking the harbour of Gorey. It is
also called Gorey Castle by English-speakers, and lé Vièr Châté
(the Old Castle) by Jèrriais-speakers. The site had been fortified
in the prehistoric period, but the construction of the castle was undertaken
following the division of the Duchy of Normandy in 1204. The castle was the
primary defence of the Island until the development of gunpowder which then
rendered the castle ultimately indefensible from Mont Saint Nicholas, the adjacent
hill which overlooks the castle. The construction of Elizabeth Castle off Saint
Helier was commenced at the end of 16th century to replace Mont Orgueil. Walter
Raleigh, Governor of Jersey in 1600, rejected a plan to demolish the old castle
in order to recycle the stone for the new fortifications with the words: "'twere
pity to cast it down". The old castle continued to be used as the Island's
only prison until the construction of a prison in St. Helier at the end of the
17th century. The Crown found it expedient to send troublesome agitators such
as William Prynne and John Lilburne to Mont Orgueil far from the realm of England.
The regicides Thomas Wayte, Henry Smith, James Temple, Hardress Waller and Gilbert
Millington were transferred to Mont Orgueil in 1661. A report for the States
of Jersey in 1691 declared that the barracks accommodation was so dilapidated
that it was impossible to quarter troops there. Two years later, the castle
was stated to be in a ruinous condition and subsequently was abandoned as a
prison. This was because Elizabeth Castle had been built and the castle was
neglected and not needed anymore. Repairs were carried out 1730-1734 and for
the rest of century parts of the castle were adapted for garrison accommodation.
In 1800 the Corbelled Tower was fitted out for use by Admiral Philippe d'Auvergne
as his headquarters for the secret service organisation he was running in Brittany
and mainland Normandy. In 1846 the castle was visited by Queen Victoria and
Prince Albert. The castle has also hosted subsequent royal ceremonies to welcome
George V in 1921 and Elizabeth II; inscriptions mark the occasions.
ABOUT THE ARTIST: Henry B Wimbush was one of Raphael
Tuck's most prolific artists, but despite his very high postcard output, he
remains a shadowy figure, only briefly chronicled in art dictionaries and reference
works. Although he first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1888, he was not
famous as a painter, and his work was not very well known.
CHANNEL ISLANDS: A group of islands, on the S.
side of the English Channel, 10 m. W. of coast of France and 80 m. S. of coast
of England. The principal members of the group are Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney,
and Sark. Geographically connected with France, they have been politically attached
to England since the Conquest, and are now all that remain to it of the dukedom
of Normandy. The land is parcelled out among a great number of small proprietors,
and is carefully cultivated. The language is nearly the same as the old Norman
French, but English is taught in all the parochial schools.
CONDITION: Excellent. Early 1900s Publication. Bookplate Print.