TOMB IN THE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DEL POPOLO IN ROME ,Italy,1874 Print,Antique Engraving,Italian Architecture Print
TOMB IN THE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DEL POPOLO IN ROME ,Italy,1874 Print,Toscany Architecture Print
Historical Collectible Italian Architecture Art Print
Santa Maria del Popolo Our Lady of the People Church dedicated to Our Lady. A chapel dedicated to Our Lady was built here, over the Roman tombs of the Domitii family, by Pope Paschal II in 1099. It was financed by the people of Rome, which explains its appellation. Tradition claims that emperor Nero was buried on the slope of the Pincian hill by the piazza. In 1099, Pope Paschal II had his remains disinterred and thrown into the Tiber at the request of those who lived in the area. The chapel was built were the grave had been. It was enlarged and consecrated as a church by Pope Gregory IX (1227-1241). Baccio Pontelli rebuilt it between 1472 and 1479 on the orders of Pope Sixtus IV, making this one of the first Renaissance churches. He also had a monastery built adjacent to the church, and both were given to the Augustinian monks. It was in this monastery that Martin Luther stayed during his visit to Rome in 1511. Bernini carried out alterations to the façade and the interior in the 17th century, on orders from Pope Alexander VII (1655-1667). The Cistercian vaults in the nave and aisles have been preserved, but Bernini had them decorated with saints and angels in stucco. To the left of the main door is the tomb of G.B. Gisleni, died 1672. The Polish architect made it himself in 1670. It is a macabre monument, with a skeleton wrapped in a shroud and an inscription on the side saying «Neither alive in this world or dead in the next». Two bronze medallions show the metamorphosis of a larva into a butterfly, a symbol of the death in this world and the new life in the next. The baptistery has two ciboria by Andrea Bregno. The tombs of the Francesco Cardinal Castiglione (died 1568) and Antonio Cardinal Pallavicini (died 1507) are also here. The Cappella della Rovere has frescoes by Pinturicchio from 1485-1489, including a Nativity. The same artist decorated the Chapel of St Augustine. On the right side is the tomb of Juan Cardinal de Castro (died 1506), perhaps by Antonio Sangallo the Younger. On the left, the tomb of Cristoforo Cardinal della Rovere (died 1478) is by Andrea Bregno, and that of Domenico Cardinal della Rovere (died 1501) is by Mino da Fiesole. The next chapel on the right-hand side is the Cappela Cybo, designed by Carlo Fontana for Alderano Cardinal Cybo between 1682 and 1687. There is a bust of the founder in the chapel. It contains the tomb of Bishop Girolamo Foscari (died 1463), by Vecchietta, as well as tombs of various members of the Cybo family. The altarpiece by Carlo Maratta depicts The Assumption and Four Doctors of the Church. Below the altar is an urn containing the relics of St Faustina, which were brought here from the catacombs. In the next chapel is the tomb of Giovanni della Rovere, made 1483 by the school of Andrea Bregno. The frescoes are by the school of Pinturicchio, and have recently been restored. At the end of the right aisle you will find the Cappella Costa with the tombs of Giovanni Borgia, son of Pope Alexander VI (1492-1503), and his mother Vannozza Cattanei. Her original funeral plaque was defaced by enemies of the Borgias, and has been moved to the porch of San Marco. The founder of the chapel, Jorge (Giorgio) Cardinal da Costa, is buried on the left. The bronze effigy of Pietro Cardinal Foscari is thought to be by Giovanni di Stefano, but was formerly attributed to Vecchietta. The altarpiece is by the school of Andrea Bregno. In the right transept is an altarpiece of the Visitation by Giovan Maria Morandi. The angels on the frame are by Ercole Ferrata and Arrigo Giardè. On the right side is the tomb of Ludovico Cardinal Podocatoro (died 1504), made c. 1508. The Cappella Chigi was designed by Raphael, and has an altarpiece by Sebastiano del Piombo. It was paid for by the banker Agostino Chigi (died 1512) and his brother Sigismondo (died 1526) - both of them are buried in the chapel. Their tombs have an unusual pyramidal form derived from Roman tombs. They were designed by Raphael and made by Lorenzetto. Maria Flaminia Princess Odaleschi, a member of the Chigi family who died in 1771, is buried just outside the chapel. The lion on her tomb is attributed to Franzoni. Raphael drew sketches for the mosaics in the vault and for the statues of the prophets Jonas and Elias. The two other statues of prophets, depicting Habacuc and Daniel, are by Bernini. The mosaics were made after Raphael's sketches by Luigi de Pace in 1516. The motif is God the Father as Creator of the Firmament. The statues were made by Lorenzetto. The altarpiece, depicting the Nativity of the Virgin, is by Sebastiano del Piombo, made 1530-1534. The bas-relief on the altar is by Lorenzetto, depicting Christ and the Woman of Samaria. It was originally intended for Agostino Chigi's tomb, but was moved here by Bernini. Above the tombs of the Chigi brothers are lunettesz painted by Raffaele Vannoi in 1653. The Capella Mellini has a monument to Cardinal G. Mellini by Allesandro Algardi, c. 1630. The Cappella Cerasi has two canvases by Caravaggio, the Conversion of Paul and the Crucifixion of St Peter, from 1601-1602. His realism gives the chapel an intense atmosphere. The Resurrection is by Annibale Carraci, painted 1601. The venerated icon of the Blessed Virgin, known as the Madonna del Popolo, whish is enshrined at the high altar was given by Pope Gregory IX in 1231. It has until then been in the treasury of the Lateran. It is said to have been painted by St Luke, but is usually dated to the late 12th or early 13th century. The altar is from 1627. The story of Nero's grave is depicted at the arch above the high altar in gilded stucco relief. Behind the sanctuary are the funerary monuments of Ascanio Cardinal Sforza, died 1505, and Girolamo Basso Cardinal della Rovere, died 1507, both by Andrea Sansovino. There is also a vault painted by Pinturicchio in the presbytery - if you see a friar, ask if he will take you there. The apse was designed by Bramante. The stained glass windows in the apse are the oldest in Rome, made by the French artist Guillaume de Marcillat in 1509. They depict scenes from the childhood of Christ and the life of the Blessed Virgin, and can best be seen from behind the sanctuary. You will see the coat-of-arms of the architect Pontelli, an oak tree, in several places. The choir was extended by Bramante between 1500 and 1509, on orders from Pope Julius II. The Augustianian friars sang office there earlier, when there was a larger community here.
This exquisite Architecture Print shows a remarkable drawing of Tuscan Renaissance Architecture. This is a rare 1874 reprint from the publication of 1815. This print is over 130 years old.
PUBLISHER- DUCHER & Cie
EDITORS - GRANDJEAN DE MONTIGNY, A. AND A. FAMIN, - Both artists studied a Beaux-Arts curriculum under Charles Percier and Pierre Leonard Fontaine. Grandjean de Montigney won the Prix de Rome in 1799, and Famin in 1801. Later Grandjean de Montigny taught at the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts in Rio de Janeiro. These publications showcases their background in Italianate architecture, with interior and exterior views and measured drawings.The works include Palaces, Exquisite Homes & Mansions, Churches and other Public and Private Buildings mainly from the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries.
Approximate Overall Size: 17 X 11 1/4 inches
CONDITION: FOLIO ENGRAVING. Blank on the back. Excellent condition. Heavier paper.Suitable ageing. The image is clean, clear and sharp with beautiful depth and detail.This beautiful rare item would look great matted and framed. An art supply store can provide you with a selection of frames for old art treasures.